Estate Planning Lawyer
Are you starting to prepare for an incapacitating event or even your eventual planning? While it isn’t the most exciting thing to go into, it is important to get done. In order to do this though, you need to find an estate planning lawyer, but what does that even look like?
What do estate lawyers do?
When you think of an estate you may think of what happens at the end of life. While it seems like it would end with the will and testament it doesn’t. An established lawyer works with the living trusts and develops a plan to avoid estate taxes or at least mitigate them. They also work with your life savings and assets to ensure that they are safe from beneficiaries’ creditors.
Not only that but these lawyers can prepare powers of attorney and health care directives so that if you were to ever become mentally incapacitated someone can take care of your affairs. They can also help you avoid guardianship issues if you need someone else to look after your affairs. You can appoint guardians or conservators to look after your children and their finances if you pass before they are of age to handle it on their own.
Overall these lawyers are working with you while you are alive to make sure that everything is settled before death.
What Makes a Good Estate Planning Lawyer?
While you may have a general lawyer they may not have the experience and specialized knowledge to assist you with your family. Knowing what to look for will save you time and money in the long run. They have your interests in mind and will do all they can to make sure you get the idea you want. Here is a list of what to look for in an estate planning lawyer:
- Devoted to their practice of estate planning
- Makes you feel comfortable sharing intimate details of your life and the concerns you have
- Pays attention to you and does everything they can to make sure your plan doesn’t fall short of your needs or expectations
- Is honest and upfront about what they can and cannot do for you
- Knows the laws of their state and stays up to date with the current laws
- Is organized
- They keep you up to date with all the planning and are consistent with their communication
- Forms a trusted bond with you
You can know that when it comes to an estate planning lawyer that will do all it takes to make sure your plan will be up to your standards and needs. If you aren’t sure if you need an estate lawyer then don’t hesitate to reach out today to learn more.